- Perceptual-acoustic speech-voice-language evaluation: Assessing skills and taking speech samples and state-of-the-art computer measurements
- Videostroboscopy: Imaging of the larynx and vocal folds with a flexible camera and viewing it on video
- Perceptual-acoustic fluency evaluation: Assessing skills and taking speech samples
- Swallow evaluation: Assessing skills during eating and drinking
- Flexible endoscopic evaluation of swallowing (FEES): Imaging of the larynx during eating and drinking
Areas of specialty
- Transgender voice and other gender-related voice and communication concerns
- Voice disorders, including laryngitis, irritable larynx / paradoxical vocal fold motion, and many other issues
- Professional voice, including acting, singing, or high vocal demand in a variety of jobs
- Upper airway issues, such as cough, throat clearing, breathing, and snoring
- Aging affects on speech, voice, and swallowing
- Stuttering, including obtaining and using the SpeechEasy fluency device
- Accent modification, including linguistic error analysis in relation to Standard American English
- Public speaking and confident speaking
- Neurological illnesses that affect speech, voice, language, and swallowing, such as Parkinson's
- Transgender voice topics to community, professional, and student groups
- Vocal health topics to community and professional groups
- Teens, adults, and the elderly (65+)
Individual and group sessions
- Individual: Rehabilitative therapy, transgender voice training, and professional training
- Group: Transgender voice workshops and classes
- Individual sessions when appropriate and when the client is living and/or located in New York state due to standard telepractice licensure law
Time and financial commitment
- Depending on the exam, the first consultation is 60-90 minutes and therapy/training sessions are 45 minutes.
- Therapy/training typically occurs 1x/wk and then less often as you progress. The length of an intervention period varies widely depending on the issue and the individual case.
- In addition to attending regular sessions, you typically will be expected to practice exercises daily and be mindful of speaking techniques when interacting with others.
- Fees are discussed upon request.
- Videostroboscopy and FEES, which are performed and billed at Jordan Stern MD PC, are typically billed in-network, depending on your insurance and insurance plan.
- All other sessions are in-network with Medicare and out-of-network with other insurances. If you do not have Medicare, you would be expected to pay out-of-pocket at the time of each session, and receipts and documentation are provided upon request for you to submit to your insurance company for possible reimbursement.